Pages

March 8, 2018

A clean, well lit place indeed

Hemingway is a powerful author.

That probably goes without saying given his name. He has one of those names that people instantly connect to genius (like Einstein? Michelangelo? ... Trump? wait... definitely not the last one haha).   Ever had a Hemingway cigar a lá Fuente? Ah I remember my first Short Story...  I smoked it in my backyard, but I had just turned 18 and was still hiding my smoking from my parents. My backyard connected to my room's window so I crawled out my window just to smoke it. What a great cigar. And what a childish way to have smoked it haha.

Anyways, back to Hemingway. There's one story of his I always go back to.

A Clean, Well Lighted Place 
(and Hills Like White Elephants come to think of it but not...right now).

I go to cafes all the time. I resonate with that place. A clean, well lit place. Sometimes I just go to go and feel like I'm a part of something -- I'm a part of life. I like to see people talking to each other, and smiling at each other. Going about their lives and I get to take a peak. I see emotions on people's faces. Some I wish I could change. Frankly, sometimes I go to forget my life. Either way, when I'm there things get better. Maybe it's just the caffeine but things do get better. Even just for a little while.

I wish there was a cure to loneliness. I wish there was genie who could grant wishes when you're feeling trapped and feeling like there's no way out of your situation. I wish I could have more strength to deal with and overcome all of my shitty weaknesses and pesky quirks. Everyone has these moments. I'm almost sure of that.

And why yes, a clean, well-lighted place helps. In a modest, small way. But it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment